Results success for students
18 August 2016
Students and staff are celebrating A level results at Shrewsbury Sixth Form College today, with 47% A*-B grades and over 74% A*-C grades and an overall pass rate of 98.5%.
For the first time in the college’s history over 750 students were sitting Advanced level examinations this year including 2070 entries in 44 different A level subjects making the college the biggest A level centre in the county.
Commenting on the achievements in his final year at the college Principal Martin Ward, said ‘A level results are so important for students in terms of their progression to university or employment. The pass rate is an impressive 98.5% with significantly high proportions of higher grades with A*-B grades at 47% and A*-C grades at 74.2%. Results at A level show a pleasing improvement on last year. To achieve such an improvement, whilst providing a range of choice to a large number of students is a credit to the college. 52 A level students passed all their examinations with A* or A level grades”
Underlying the headline rate there are many individual success stories. 5 students who were offered places at Oxford or Cambridge this year have achieved the grades required. 4 students who were offered places to study Medicine/Dentistry/Veterinary courses have been successful in achieving the required grades. Approximately 70% of the students will go straight to university in a wide range of courses.
For the third year the college has entered students for advanced BTEC courses. At Subsidiary Diploma level 91 entries were made in BTEC Applied Science, Business, ICT and Sport and there was a pass rate of 100% and a fantastic 76% of all entries were at Distinction level. These qualifications have a high academic content and also prepare students for the world of employment.
Lyn Surgeon the new Chief Executive of the Shrewsbury Colleges Group offered her congratulations. ‘I am delighted with the results at Shrewsbury Sixth Form College and to arrive at such a successful and exciting time as the two Shrewsbury colleges come together to form a strong college for all students. This is a strong testament to the work of staff and students”.
Paul Morgan the new Head of Shrewsbury Sixth Form added “I am especially pleased with the improved pass rate and high grades at A level and on BTEC courses. Overall results are very good and there are many individual success stories where students have achieved their personal best. I look forward to working with staff and students to build on these strong foundations.”
Chris Fountain, Chair of Shrewsbury Sixth Form College commented “These results are very impressive during a period of change and all the staff and students are to be congratulated. I look forward to the opportunities of the newly merged college and to see academic and vocational success in the future.”
Picture l - r:
- Alfie Digby - Electronics A*, Maths A, Product Design A, Physics A*
- Catherine Needs - Medicine, Uni of Liverpool - Biology A*, Maths A, Chemistry A, Further Maths A
- Lucy Painter - Birmingham Uni English and French - English Combined A*, French A, Music B
- Will Highfield - Vet Science, Bristol Uni - Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths B
- Matthew Paterson, Cambridge St Johns - Chemistry A*, Further Maths A*, Maths A*, Physics A*;
- Alex Swallow, Engineering Science at Oxford - Chemistry A, Further Maths A*, Maths A*, Physics A*;
- Principal SSFC Martin Ward
- Katie Simkins - Physics, Imperial College - Chemistry A, Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Physics A*
- Tom Vout, University College Oxford Physics - Chemistry A*, Further Maths A, Maths A*, Physics A*