GCE A Level
Studying Physical Education at A level is recommended for students doing mathematics or a science A level (not Applied Science).
- B grade or above in Core Science and Additional Science or
- B grade or above in Core Science and Additional Applied Science or
- B grade or above in two separate sciences one of which must be Biology
- B (4) grade in English Language
- C (5) grade in Mathematics
Entry requirements on ‘SSFC Course Information, Advice & Guidance’ document also apply.
PE GCSE not essential.
What will I study?
This course will appeal to you if you enjoy playing sport and want to know about human psychology and the role of sport in society through classroom study.
Typically three theory lessons a week are spent on how the body reacts to exercise, how the brain controls the body and social reasons for the importance of physical activity.
One lesson a week is used to enhance personal skills, coaching ability and to relate performance to theories learnt.
There will be both the opportunity and expectation to continue and improve your team sports through the Wednesday afternoon sports programme and after college clubs.
In comparison with the Sport BTEC course:
• Assessed by written exam worth 70%
• Practical / Oral coursework worth 30%