Enrichment, Sport & Recreational Activities
We offer a flexible Enrichment programme available throughout the College week at all campuses, which has been developed in conjunction with students and is based on 8 key themes:
- Sport and wellbeing
- Employability and Careers
- Enterprise, including Young Enterprise Challenge
- 21st Century technologies
- Leadership including our Cadet Platoon
- Academic Enrichment including Oxbridge and Medical Societies
- Music & Drama
Various events are scheduled throughout the year including Careers Week, Job Fairs, and Higher Education Events to ensure you have information about your career choice. Whether it’s our annual visit to the Skills Show at Birmingham NEC for careers inspiration, or university visits to help you decide on the right course, our programme of careers visits has something for everyone. We have created a College V-Inspired online portal and students will be able to gain nationally recognised awards, for volunteering hours.
Sport & Recreational Activities
We have a range of teams and different activities for you to try especially on Wednesday afternoons but available throughout the week, including:
- Local, regional and national competitive team sports against other schools and colleges, including football, rugby, volleyball, hockey, netball and in the summer, cricket
- More informal recreational activities available after College
- The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, involving going off independently, camping and walking in the hills
- Enrichment sports including rowing, basketball, squash, badminton, table tennis, archery, boys/girls football, rock climbing and the Tennis Academy
- Enrichment physical activities including the use of the Fitness Suite, circuit training, aerobics, contemporary dance and street dance/Zumba
- Learning to save a life by taking your Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Joining the Shrewsbury College Platoon (RIFLES)
- Getting involved in volunteering in sport and officiating our team sports
- Setting up your own club or activity
We also support other sports through entry into county and national competitions such as swimming, athletics and tennis.
The Student Voice
Shrewsbury Colleges Group is an NUS recognised college and our Student Voice representatives have a demonstrable impact on developing the student experience on all of our campuses. The Student Council runs student related events and fundraises for local and national charities. It has a budget which it can spend on improving the College environment for students and helping students set up groups and societies.
Music & Dramatic Arts (MaDA) and Performing Arts productions
Based at English Bridge and London Road Campuses, there are many opportunities throughout the College year to be involved, either as an individual performer or as part of an ensemble, band, chamber group, choir, cast, crew, tech team or club.
Events include a Christmas concert, a special anniversary concert, Celebrating Achievement Evening, a Band’s Night, Graduation Ceremony in St Chad’s, and Comp/Week (series of events for young composers). Groups Voci Forti (an audition only Acappella choir), a College choir, concert band, orchestra, big band, chamber orchestra, four rock bands, a folk band, string quartet, dance workshops with Arcadian Youth Dance, amongst many others.
Various large productions are put on throughout the year - previously these have included “The Addams Family”, “Night at the Musicals”, “Aladdin”, “Guys and Dolls”, and “Evita”. Instrumentalists and serious vocalists interested in performing in any of our main ensembles should sign up to our unique ‘music activities’ course. This involves Tuesday afternoons set aside for rehearsals and jamming!
Instrumental and Vocal Tuition
Our long standing relationship with Shropshire Music Service means that they are able to offer a very competitive fee structure for lessons to all students and we fully support their mission to provide, develop and support the highest quality of music education in Shropshire. To further this ambition, SMS offer their own bursary scheme which supplements individual lessons by 10 minutes for instrumentalists or vocalists who are already performing at Grade 5 or above or who are part of a Shropshire Music Service ensemble.
To participate in this scheme with Shropshire Music Service please contact them direct on Tel: 01743 874145 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to provide evidence of enrolment at Shrewsbury Colleges Group eg. student ID badge or enrolment paperwork.