Vigil for Orlando co-incides with Diversity Day at SSFC
20 June 2016
On Friday 17th June, Shrewsbury Sixth Form College students organised a vigil to remember those killed and wounded in Orlando Florida.
Attended by 250 people, it was an especially poignant event giving the recent killing of Jo Cox MP - one of the acts of remembrance was the reading out of each persons name and their age.
You can see a short film of the evening below.
The colleges' annual Diversity Event is being held this week, organised by Colette Rugman, Equality & Diversity Co-ordinator and sociology teacher, for all students at the college, thethis year there will be talks and workshops from
- The Ark - Tim Crompton - the Ark is a drop in centre designed to help homeless and vulnerable people in Shrewsbury
- Sohayb Peerbhai Imam from Craven Arms Muslim Community - He will be discussing what the Muslim faith is about and his experiences.
- Simon Langley - previously the UK Lead Manager for Inclusion & Diversity at the National Grid. He now is Managing Director of Mucklestone Consulting and works for Stonewall, an organisation dedicated to promoting LGBT rights. Simon will be talking about his experiences of LGBT issues.
- FRESh - FRESh stands for Fairness Respect Equality Shropshire. It is an organisation that seeks to raise awareness of equality and diversity issues through education and tackle discrimination in Shropshire. It has been involved in research into the extent of hate crime locally and the workshop will focus on this.
- Victim Support - Hannah Barnes and Ruth Russell - Hannah is a TA in college who also has worked with Victim Support that deals with issues of domestic abuse.
- Isamophobia - Martin Lynch is a retired teacher. He taught in secondary schools in Dudley, Wolverhampton and Walsall. He has been an active campaigner against racism and discrimination and wants a more inclusive and tolerant society. He will be examining the issue of Islamophobia in Britain today.
- Refugee Action - Claire Tabberer - an organisation that seeks to help educate about refugees and help support them in communities. Her workshop will focus on raising awareness about refugees and the Syrian refugee crisis.